Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blueberries and Lemon

I'm warning you about this post in advance. Get your grocery list and make sure you have all the ingredients to make this recipe I'm going to share with you. I promise you won't regret it!


Blueberry Lemon Cake

1/2 cup plain nonfat or greek yogurt
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar (plus a reserved 1/2 cup sugar for glaze)
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
zest of two large lemons (juice the lemons and reserve liquid for glaze)
2 tsp water
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 pint blueberries (frozen or fresh)

Preheat oven to 350.  In a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  In a large bowl beat together the yogurt, melted butter and sugars.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Add vanilla and lemon zest.  With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing until just combined.  In a the same small dry ingredient bowl, toss the blueberries with 1 Tbsp of flour.  This keeps them from sinking all the way to the bottom during the baking process.  Add the blueberries to the batter and gently fold until evenly distributed.  Coat a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick spray.  Pour batter into pan and spread evenly.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 5 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Immediately pour hot glaze (recipe below) over the hot cake.  Let cool completely in the pan before removing.  Serve and enjoy!

For the glaze:
During the last 15 minutes of baking, combine the juice from the lemons (no seeds please!) with 1/2 cup of sugar.  Stir, over low heat, until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid has taken on a syrupy consistency, about 10 minutes.  Set aside until cake is done.

I couldn't even let it cool before I tried the cake. Rush even asked for seconds so it must be good. 

I knocked a few more miles off the total today. There wasn't a lot happening here in Seoul, but the highlight was having company on my run tonight. Running with Rush is always more fun and he definitely tries to keep me motivated. I'll be doing some exploring tomorrow so I'm excited to see something new! 

I'm off to keep researching Graduate Schools. The hunt for a Masters Program that I'm interested in has turned out to be really hard. Everything I find has ridiculous pre-reqs so hopefully something turns up soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment